How To Select the Right Rugged Device
When it comes to procurement support, there are several boxes that need to be checked. Supporting your employees with the right tools is one of the highest priorities on that list. Certain industries require more than just desktop computers or any other ordinary office equipment. Whether you’re a fire protection agent, a police officer patrolling the community, or a construction manager on the job site, it’s important to take a rugged approach.
In today’s world, more and more companies are bringing in rugged technology for their employees, especially those who are constantly working out in a high-labor setting. Durable devices like Panasonic Toughbooks are engineered to make certain employees jobs much easier.
Now before we dive too deep into the specifics of rugged infrastructure, let’s review some of the basics.
What is rugged technology?
First thing’s first, it’s important to define what rugged technology really is. Simply put, a rugged device is a computer or smart device that is engineered for labor-intensive settings. Rugged technology is specifically designed to be operated within harsh-usage environments. They are built to withstand things like strong vibrations, extreme temperatures, and wet or dusty conditions.
Who uses these tools?
If you often work outside or in a warehouse, then chances are that you will have to operate with some type of rugged device. These are some of the professionals that often get the most use out of a rugged infrastructure:
- Construction Managers
- First Responders
- Law Enforcement Officers
- Fire Protection Agents
- Warehouse Managers
- Military Personnel
- Purchasing Managers
- Traveling Nurses
- Field Service Technicians
What are the specific types of devices?
In today’s age, there really isn’t one standard type of rugged laptop or tablet. In fact, there are three primary forms of rugged information technology:
- Fully-rugged: Devices engineered to withstand the greatest amount of abuse. These devices are often used in more critical environments like disaster zones. They are often used by frontline professionals like EMTs, Firefighters, and Police Officers.
- Semi-rugged: These are devices for professionals that are typically on the go. You’ll often see municipal workers and visiting nurses operating with this equipment. It is built to withstand spills and moderate levels of abuse.
- Professional-rugged: Often referred to as a "prosumer," professionally-rugged tools are made for a wide range of environments. Everyone from fire inspectors to sales professionals uses professional-rugged technology. These tools durable enough to withstand tough conditions, such as extreme temperatures, dust, humidity, and accidental drops.
How do I know what’s best for me?
When it comes to rugged technology, there is a list of criteria that should be considered when deciding what devices are best for your employees. Those four main factors include:
- The features of the technology: Use a device that offers a robust variety of features.
- It’s internal specifications: A rugged tablet with a strong and reliable operating system is your best option for jobs that come with heavy workloads.
- Price and budget alignment: Avoid overspending on any tablets or devices, yet find a durable solution that extends the lifespan of the investment.
- Compatible applications: Choose a rugged device that has the capacity space for multiple applications and add-on features.
- Warranty support: Technology isn’t built to last forever, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make the most out of your rugged devices. Choose tools from a vendor that offers the longest warranty.
Partner With a Superior Procurement Specialist Today
When it comes to providing businesses with rugged technology, there is no one better to have by your side than the experts at Bizco Technologies. We make the procurement process easy and seamless. Our team only provides proactive solutions that are sure to improve the efficiency of your business.
Give us a call so you can learn how to take advantage of our procurement support services. Schedule your free consultation today.